Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Helping

Good Morning,

I apologize for the delay in getting your devotional. Technical difficulties have hindered our progress, but we have a temporary solution to the problem. You will receive three devotional in one today. I do hope that you will join us in Bible Study either at noon today or tonight at 7:00

January is almost over. Our New Year is really in full swing. There is a saying in business that says, “If you do the same thing the same way you get the same results. Can you live with that? We often quote the first part, but never ask the question. The reality is NO; we can not live with that. The very nature of life is change, transition, growth or decline. Many times we can determine the direction, intensity, and duration,

As we continue our transition and transformation let’s how Romans 16 can help us. Here is our devotional for today.

Blessings

Barbara

MONDAY, JANUARY 20, 2014
SCRIPTURE
ROMANS 16 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also.

OBSERVATION
1.     Paul commends a servant from one church to another church.
2.     This servant was helpful to Paul and to many.

APPLICATION
1.     Are you a servant of the church, or do you want to be served by the church?
2.     Can your pastor write a favorable letter of recommendation based on your faithful service?
3.     Who are you helping?
PRAYER
Gracious Father forgive me of my selfishness, as well as my self righteousness. Help me walk in such a way that those who have leadership over me can recommend me without hesitation for service else where. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen



TUESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2014
SCRIPTURE
ROMANS 16: Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus,who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who is the first fruits of Achaia to Christ. Greet Mary, who labored much for us. Greet Andronicus and Junia, my countrymen and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. Greet Amplias, my beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and Stachys, my beloved. 10 Greet Apelles, approved in Christ. Greet those who are of the household of Aristobulus. 11 Greet Herodion, my countryman. Greet those who are of the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord. 12 Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, who have labored in the Lord. Greet the beloved Persis, who labored much in the Lord.13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren who are with them. 15 Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. The[c] churches of Christ greet you.

OBERVATION
1.     Paul’s fellow workers risk their lives to save his life.
2.     Paul greeted persons who labored with him and for him in the Lord

APPLICATION
1.     Have you risked your life to save another’s life?
2.     Have you risked loosing a friendship by standing up to gossip about another?
3.     Are you laboring for the Lord with someone else?
4.     Can you be remembered with fondness by those you have served along side?

PRAYER
Father I have lived much of my Christian life looked to be served, not to serve. I have sought to be fed, rather than to feed. I have helped to crucify those who serve you rather than protect and serve along side. Today O Lord, I repent. Work in me to will and to do your good pleasure. In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.



WEDNESDY, JANUARY 22, 2014
SCRIPTURE
ROMANS 16: 17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. 19 For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. 20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.


OBERVATION
1.     Paul instructs to take note of and avoid persons who cause division, offence and walk contrary to the doctrine of Christ.
2.     Paul says those who we are to note and avoid do not serve Christ, but their own desires.
3.     Their smooth talking and flattery deceive the simple.
4.     We are called to be wise in what is good and simple concerning evil.

APPLICATION
1.     Do you struggle with identifying and avoiding those who cause division, offence and walk contrary to the doctrine of Christ?
2.     Do you serve Christ or your own desires and appetites?

PRAYER
Father it is so easy to become entangled with the smooth talking flattery giving person. It is so easy to listen to their divisive, offence giving, contrariness. It is succulent and juicy. Help me overcome this tendency. Empower me to be wise in that which is good and simple concerning evil. In Jesus’ name AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment